Last week I wrote a post about how to cook for family one of my main tips was not to try to do too much. Cooking a starter, main and desert can be a lot of work for people who like me are new to the kitchen. Thankfully recipes like this one are made for entertaining large groups of people.
Sorry for the even worse quality of photo than usual, I took this on my phone, didn’t realise it would be quite so bad… Maybe I’ll make it again this weekend and update then with new photos!
This recipe is slightly adapted from the restaurant chain Zizzi who have a branch in the Ocean Terminal Edinburgh. Their food is tasty and good value for money (plus they often do good deals), and we go way more often than we should.
This recipe is a favourite of mine for lunch because it tastes so good and it wins me major brownie points. I alsomade it the last time I had people over for dinner, and it was great because it involves so little cooking.
Bruschetta Al Pomodoro
– serves 4
- 4 part baked ciabatta rolls
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 1 slug + 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Black Pepper
- around 20 cherry tomatoes (vine ripened are probably the best!)
- 1 thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 8 basil leaves
- Toss the tomatoes with the balsamic vinegar, oil, basil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook your part baked ciabatta rolls, I normally do them for 3/4 of the stated cooking time.
- After they are most of the way through their cooking time, cut the top off of the roll – watch this can be hot! (You don’t want to quite half the roll, but take enough off to expose the doughy centre.
- Rub the garlic over the exposed area of your roll, and add a quick slug of olive oil, I usually use my hands to rub the garlic and oil in.
- Pop your rolls on a baking tray and put under the grill and toast, till they just start to turn golden. You don’t want to toast too long as ciabatta goes quite crispy which can make cutting through the roll tough!
- Remove from grill, spoon the tomato, onion and balsamic mixture onto each roll and serve. Perfect!