This week I wanted to do something exciting with my Broccoli, something that wasn’t a stir-fry or simple side.
Ages ago a friend of mine had told me about a wonderful Broccoli Pesto that she had made. It was the first time I had heard of pestos made with anything other than Basil or Coriander. This is a wonderful way of using that Broccoli that’s slowly turning brown in your fridge, it’s quick and made from ingredients you probably have lying around.
- 1 medium broccoli head
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/3 cup of grated parmesan
- 1 handful of flaked almonds
- Boil the broccoli for around ten minutes, until starting to soften. Drain and add into the bowl for your blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and blend until it forms a paste. You can continue to blend until smooth, but I prefer mine to be a little “bitty”.
This pesto is delightfully creamy, wonderfully more-ish and has at least 1 of your fruit and veg for the day.
You could use this pesto for wonderful pasta but I used mine as a topping for burgers. A tasty healthy alternative to ketchup.